Google
 

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Jose Guillen And Jay Gibbons Are Next On MLB's Drug Policy List

Jose Guillen and Jay Gibbons were suspended Thursday for the first 15 days of next season for violating baseball's drug policy, an indication how the sport might treat any players named in the Mitchell steroids investigation. The pair were linked in media reports to the purchase of human growth hormone. So were Gary Matthews Jr., Rick Ankiel, Troy Glaus and Scott Schoeneweis, but Major League Baseball decided there was "insufficient evidence" to determine they committed a doping violation.

Jose Guillen will not let this go without a fight. He told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas that his lawyers will appeal the sanction, but he will not comment further on the case. Guillen instructed the players' association to file a grievance, which would be decided by an arbitrator.

Jay Gibbons, on the other hand, will not challenge his penalty. He accepted responsibility and apologized. "I am deeply sorry for the mistakes that I have made. I have no excuses and bare sole responsibility for my decisions," the Baltimore outfielder said. "Years ago, I relied on the advice of a doctor, filled a prescription, charged the HGH, which is a medication, to my credit card and had only intended to help speed my recovery from my injuries and surgeries."

As more and more steroid users are revealed, one wouldn't be surprised at this point to learn that these players are household names loved by many. One has to laugh at this point at the desperate search for these users. The MLB steroid search has become so extremely ridiculous that this scenario can be ranked right up there with the witch hunts, Spanish Inquisition, and the Communist scare that took place in history. Though I don't condone what Jay Gibbons did, I must say he seemed truly sorry and that was the most sincerest apology I have heard from a player who was caught taking steroids. Gibbons seems like a mild-mannered guy who was caught in a mistake. However, Jay Gibbon's healthy reason has to be the most comical reason I have heard from a player who was caught taking steroids. Isn't his excuse an oxymoron? If steroids are supposed to destroy the body in the long run, then wouldn't it seem pointless for one to take steroids to help him recover his body from injury?

No comments: